Saturday, May 5, 2012

Unfortunate cheating with end results

Runkeeper Stats

I didn't walk yesterday because I was recovering from a couple of screw up's I did on Thursday. First off, it was the Marvel Movie Marathon event that showed all of the Marvel movies leading up to the premiere of The Avengers. The night before there was another weekly event that ended up with an "after party" at a strip club. Needless to say, sleep did not come until well after 4am. So arriving at the theater with around 4 hours of sleep did nothing for diet awareness or preparation, on top of which, movie theaters do tend to frown upon bringing food in from the outside. Long story short, it was a fast food/junk food day that ended around 5am. Sleep was not easily won or given as a phone call at 8:45am woke me up for a phone interview via a temp agency that I used to work for, from there it was broken sleep til 11am.

Lack of good sleep and lack of good food slammed me hard by the time it was walking time. I found that my addiction to candy has been drastically curbed. I had 2 bag of movie peanut M&M's and I almost could not finish the second one and had no desire to go find any more candy. The fried food I ended up eating just did not sit well in my system and even today my brain feels "waxy" coated. Getting home I had my first real meal in a couple days and feel loads better and actually full. I got a good amount of sleep last night that was pretty uninterrupted, so by the time work rolled around, my mind was clearer and sharper than the day before.

I can't say I looked forward to walking tonight and once I felt the air outside, the thought of doing a full circuit was daunting. However, the walk is broken up into three sections in my mind. Once I get to the second section, the half mile mark has already been broken and the rest of the street that's left is only about .22 miles. From there the incentive is just to get back to work on time from lunch. My daily goal, when walking will always be to break a mile if I can, it seems to be a good goal for a minimum goal to set. Breathing was pretty regular throughout the walk and recovery time on breaks are quicker now. Usually I listen to music on my phone while walking and my breaks tend to be one full song. Tonight, the need to go came up well before the song ended and there wasn't and reason for it other than that I was ready, which was proved by the fact that there was no instant drop of energy when the walking started.

Last night,. while I was at Wal-Mart doing some grocery shopping, I stopped by one of those blood pressure machines in the pharmacy section. I know they are not real accurate, but the average of spot checking I do on the same machine was consistent. The last time I took my blood pressure was 1 week after I started walking. My Systolic was in hypertension range and my diastolic was in pre-hypertension  range. Last night my Systolic was down to pre-hypertension and my diastolic was in normal ranges. So my heart is getting better and in a few more weeks I will spot check it again and see if I can get both of them in the normal ranges.

It's unexpected mini-successes like this that are keeping me going and defeating my impatience. I did have the forethought to take a "Before" pic in the beginning of this journey. I dunno when I will have an after pic yet. When I do, they will be posted together. If I remember correctly, I already posted the before pics waaaaay back in the beginning. View at your own risk. :)

No comments: