Friday, March 30, 2012

The Long walk home

So having a goal in the short term is nice. However, I wanted to be able to show in a visual representation what I have done with my walking so far in the last year-ish that I have been tracking it.

This is the outline for my goal, I call it, The Long Walk Home.

I grew up in Franklin, Massachusetts and I currently live in DeBary, Florida. So my goal is to walk home.

This is the path that I will be taking. Consider it a virtual backpacking experience. The current total miles from point A to point B is 1,261 miles, the majority of which is highway miles.

I figure as I go, I can stop off in various locations and give a bit of a tour of places I am going to walk through. Which should be an interesting little side project  while I work on walking up the East Coast








This picture shows my current position. I had to draw it kinda long hand and screen capture it as Google currently doesn't offer a way to plot out a course by hand and map it as a savable link, yet. I have faith in these guys peeking on my Blog and thinking this may be a good idea, so once it exists, I will start using it.

So far I have walked 16.47 miles that I have tracked with Runkeeper thus far. This means, I have a long ass way to go, but this is my large goal and I have my mini goals which are posted on the Runkeeper site under my profile. My current one is to get my 1 mile in 20 minutes back on track and from there is to get my stamina back up to where a mile isn't a big deal anymore. Once I get my mile, I will push for my 2 mile mark in a 6 week period.  Again, after that I will have to evaluate my time and energy levels to see where I stand on the 3 mile goal. I may end up switching the longer distances to weekend walking jaunts and leave the lunchtime at work walks somewhere between 1 and 2 miles, if i can keep them in a 30 minute max time frame.

There are other things I would like to do, such as use runkeeper to share live walks with people that are interested and to add other cool technological aspects to my travels. However, funds are tight as is with everyone in the world. I'm not asking for money or donations, just visit my sponsors from time to time is all I ask. Heck I may be able to afford a heart monitor that can go with my runkeeper app and record that as well and see where I truly stand on a day to day basis.

Regardless, I appreciate you all taking the time to check in and leave words of encouragement. I take them all to heart and they add to my determination. Thank you one and all.